While Fair Trade has a relatively short history, the amount of information, conflicting reports, debates and personal stories can sometimes be overwhelming. Rather than be overwhelmed, take comfort in the fact that even the biggest Fair Trade “experts” are continually learning, as Fair Trade and all the actors involved (in the North, South, and everywhere in between) influence and shape this dynamic movement.
The following list is meant to point you to some of the resources available to learn more. Start small, and you’ll probably find a particular aspect of Fair Trade that grabs you. Like most things, the more you learn and understand Fair Trade, the more interesting and compelling it becomes. Some good places to start might be:
- Search and subscribe to e-newsletters about Fair Trade
- Subscribe to RSS feeds for Fair Trade blogs or news sites
- Follow our social media and engage with it! Facebook and Twitter are constantly pointing to new and interesting Fair Trade resources
Have other ideas? Tell us! And also be sure to share the things that you find interesting about Fair Trade so that we can help each other come to the same level of Fair Trade knowledge and continually push the bar higher.
The Fair Trade Resource Network (FTRN) has compiled some of the best educational resources about Fair Trade on the web, including a list of publications (fact sheets, power points, over 100 “webinars”), extensive list of Fair Trade films, books, teaching tools and academic papers. Below are some hyper-links to their website to whet your Fair Trade appetite.
- Fair Trade FAQ (3 pg PDF)
- History of Fair Trade
Fair Trade Movies
list includes feature-length documentaries, short films and YouTube clips
- Access or browse all of the Fair Trade Resource Network’s information here.
A collaborative effort between the Fair Trade Institute in Switzerland and the FTRN (above) in the US to collect a variety of Fair Trade academic publications to foster education and critical analysis about Fair Trade. It includes over 400 papers from the late 1980s to those currently forthcoming in journals. Most papers, including those published in otherwise inaccessible journals, are hyperlinked from the website.
Extensive list of academic papers and books from researchers around the world.
Includes news about Fair Trade in Canada, facts and figures, product information, recipes, producers and producer networks, opinions and editorials, information for businesses and various promotional materials
Fairtrade International/Fairtrade Labeling Organization (FLO)
- Standards setting arm of the Fair Trade label, includes information about Fair Trade generally, standards, producers, products and resources
- Fair Trade: At a Glance info sheet
- Videos, including “Fairtrade for Beginners” a 2-part featurette (1/2 hour) bringing audiences through Western and South Africa to learn about Fair trade
- How does Fair Trade make a difference? View the FLO’s impact studies and summaries
- FLO-Cert – the FLO’s associated auditing organization who certifies and manages the Fair Trade label
- World Fair Trade Organization – a member-driven network of only 100% Fair Trade organizations who represent the “authentic voice of Fair Trade.” One of the original four Fair Trade networks that coordinated to form the Fair Trade label.
- European Fair Trade Association – association of European importers who were one of the original four Fair Trade networks that coordinated to form the Fair Trade label
Click here to find more links to other official national Fair Trade websites.
Fair Trade USA Blog (includes 3-part micro-series on Fair Trade